What is the First Teacher of Iowa Project?
First Teacher is a project organized and implemented by the Learning Disabilities Association of Iowa. As we all know, parents are a child’s first teacher and much learning happens before a child ever enters a formal education program
The goals of the First Teacher Project include the following:
- Empower parents with free resources for providing a stimulating, positive learning environment in the home in order to improve school readiness and learning outcomes.
- Provide parents with information about learning milestones so that learning disabilities can be identified and early interventions provided.
- Partner with parents, agencies and organizations to disseminate First Teacher resources, including face-to-face meetings, modeling of strategies, etc.
- Provide quick access to free resources for educators and parents.
- Empower parent with information about learning disabilities so that they are able to better advocate for their child.